Pages

1/30/2012

Books I read in 2011 [updated]

9408405-the-art-of-non-conformity.jpeg




















Last year I tried to read 42 books and I failed, which is part of the reason why I decided to try again this year. At first I thought it would just have to wait since all of my books are at home. I have a horrible habit of buying books and never getting around to reading them which is part of my whole reasoning for doing this, trying to read everything I own. I am so grateful to my brother & sister for lending me their iPad, which actually makes a great ereader for now. I want one of my own now! Here are the books I read last year, I am thinking of trying to keep a record of all the media I consume just to be more aware of it and try to watch less TV and instead watch more movies and of course read more. The images and bold titles are my top three four but I enjoyed a lot of these books, you can find me on goodreads to see ratings and other bookish things. I have a hard time reviewing books (anything really) because I never know how I feel about it until much later, when I've read other books and with time I realize, oh I hated that book or I loved it.

1919065.jpeg

21704.jpeg


edited to add: 
The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing. This was a book I was forced to read and a book I would have never chosen to read because here where I am working as a teacher's assistant the BAC Literature students are studying for their BAC ( a french/european A-Levels test) with this book. This book choice was surprising to me because its not a 'classic' book that I would expect for a Literature test but its a really interesting book. Its hard to classify it, its somewhat science fiction, drama, and horror. It was a quick read without chapters. I realized that it has impacted me a lot more then I thought because its a book I am still thinking about, and still I wonder about the fifth child. Why was he so different? I want to read the sequel so much it seems just as interesting, and normally this is a genre I am indifferent about. It is very well written and just so captivating, you can't help but think what you would do in the characters' place and if you agree with their actions.






  1. The Story of Lucy Gault / William Trevor
  2. The Art of Non-Conformity / Chris Guillebeau
  3. The Devil in the White City / Erik Larson
  4. You Shall Know Our Velocity / Dave Eggers
  5. Water for Elephants / Sara Gruen
  6. Silk / Alessandro Baricco
  7. Ursula, Under / Ingrid Hill
  8. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales / Oliver Sacks
  9. The Alchemist / Paulo Coelho
  10. The Time Traveler's Wife / Audrey Niffenegger
  11. Rainbow: The Stormy Life of Judy Garland / Christopher Finch
  12. McSweeney's Issue 25 / Various
  13. The Natural Soap Book / Susan Cavitch
  14. The Other Boleyn Girl / Philippa Gregory
  15. Henry Lee Lucas / Joel Norris
  16. Blankets / Craig Thompson
  17. Thrifty: Living the Frugal Life with Style / Marjorie Harris
  18. The Black Dahila Avenger: The True Story / Steve Hodel
  19. High Fidelity / Nick Hornby
  20. Call Me Anna: The Autobiography of Patty Duke / Patty Duke
  21. The Black Dahlia (LA Quartet #1) / James Ellroy
  22. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Lewis Carroll
  23. Alice I Have Been / Melanie Benjamin
  24. The Fifth Child / Doris Lessing
  25. The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys / Doris Kearns Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment